The Sign, not signs.
In Matthew 24:25, Jesus, warning the disciples of the end times, says, “Be Sober, Be vigilant.”
Whenever the end times, or last days, is spoken of in scripture, it is often prefaced with a warning of deception. Some form of the word deceive appears 75 times. Be on your guard against being deceived.
In the Jewish encyclopedia, 40 false Messiahs have been recorded in Israel since Jesus.
Four examples of Jesus’ warning:
- Matthew 24:4 Take heed
- Matthew 24:5 shall deceive
- Matthew 24:11 shall deceive
- Matthew 24:24 shall deceive
First, signs and wonders alone cannot guarantee the truth is spoken. Second, even The elect, chosen, would be deceived if it were possible. God chose them, our security. It’s the greatest danger to threaten the believer.
Pilate says to Jesus, “What is truth?”
Three coordinates of truth:
- Jesus is the truth
- God’s word, the Bible, is the truth
- The Holy Ghost is truth
All three must testify the truth and agree.
- Liberation Theology, Marxism, Revolutionary — use the poor.
- Eastern Guru and the New Age movement.
- Father Christmas, Liberal Theology, the Bible is not the word of God.
Pride opens the door to deception. Contention cometh before pride and pride before the fall.
The Lie. The first lie: “For God, knows that, in the day you eat of it, your eyes will be open, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” … ‘So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took off its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate.”
God’s wrath comes on the deceiver and the deceived.
The love of the truth (agape)
Falling away by believers who are deceived.
How to be free from deception.
- “Now concerning virgins: I have no commandment from the Lord; yet I give judgment as one whom the Lord in His “Now concerning virgins: I have no commandment from the Lord; yet I give judgment as one whom the Lord in His mercy has made trustworthy.” 1 Corinthians 7:25
- Humility & Fear of God. This is the beginning of truth. So many promises of God
- All scripture first before personal revelation.
- Focus on Jesus, Worship God, the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy. Holy Ghost glorifies Jesus
- Leave the initiative to God. He will speak, He will lead you into truth.
- Beware of fantasy. Stay in scriptures, fascinate means to bewitched.
- Keep it simple and plain. KISS, Corey Ten Boom, keep it simple stupid.
- Exercise your senses, and discernment. Learn to discern between spirit and soul. Especially in worship.
- Last, cultivate love of the truth. 2 Thes. 2:9 Receive, Be lovers of the Truth. What is the truth?
- Prayer for the mercy of God. We need your mercy, we humble ourselves before you. We renounce any deception and lead us in your everlasting way.